Moisture Analysis Blog
WHAT YOU CAN’T MEASURE YOU CAN’T MANAGE
The much used phrase “what you can’t measure, you can’t manage” certainly applies when it comes to dealing with moisture in materials bulk handling. Moisture is often referred to as the “holy grail” of processing. If done successfully companies can reap the rewards. Improved yield, less downtime, better quality and less frustrated workers are but a few of the benefits.
So what do you do? You know you have a problem and you want a solution. It’s going to cost money and you need to make a capital justification. The starting point is to make an assessment of how much the problem, caused by too little or too much moisture, is costing you. Below is a check list we’ve developed. Ask yourself does your operation experience any of the following moisture-related inefficiencies?
- Hold ups, clogging or fouling of machinery caused by material that is too wet or too dry.
- Unnecessary production costs associated with over or under dosing or dispersing of moisture
- Inefficiencies resulting from less-than-optimum plant operating decisions based on inadequate or incorrect moisture information
- Increased out-of-spec product caused by time delays between obtaining the results of manual sampling for moisture and taking corrective action
- Product being rejected
- Increased transport costs caused by shipping water rather than product
- Payment penalties imposed on product with over-spec moisture
- Foregone revenue from selling product with moisture content that is under-spec
- Overheads associated with manual sampling
- Tonnage anomalies due to moisture that occurs along the value chain, causing disputes between business units and depriving management of accurate key performance information
Once you have overcome the capital justification hurdle then your next port of call is to look at what technology solutions there are on the market. Your choice of technology will depend on what you want to achieve, the specifics of your application, and your budget. Over the years our engineers have become very skilled at assessing applications in the mining, minerals processing, food and building products industries. We’ve conducted hundreds of assessments and commissioned moisture analysers on a wide range of materials.
The MoistScan division has developed a very handy guide to assessing your application for online moisture analysis. If you would like a copy of this please email email@example.com and we will send you a copy.